Cape Town is one of the world’s favourite tourist destinations during the warm, summer months. But, what many don’t realize is the winter season is one of Cape Town’s best-kept secrets. What’s more? You most definitely don’t need to be a tourist from overseas to find new, fun and exciting things to experience in the Mother City.
Here is our list of hidden Cape Town gems where you can experience this amazing city like the locals do, even in winter.
- Get Electric: There are so many ways to see the city sites, but why not wait for a clear, crisp winter morning and head off on an Electric Bike tour? Bike & Saddle offer a tour full of culture for only R90 per person.
- Experience a Piece of History: The Labia movie theatre is less about the film you watch, but the history of the old heritage building that houses the theatre, right in the middle of the Cape Town CBD. This iconic spot was once a ballroom and has now become the last independent art cinema in South Africa.
- Wine Time: The Rockwell Cellars is a bespoke wine & spirit retailer where you can purchase only the best of the best. Enjoy a unique wine tasting experience for up to 10 people at a time for as little as R45 per person. This little gem is conveniently located inside the Rockwell Hotel in De Waterkant.
- Go Bargain Hunting: Right along the edge of the ocean before you reach Blouberg Beach you’ll find the Milnerton Market filled with everything from plants to antiques. Enjoy a little bargain hunt every weekend, absolutely free (unless you purchase some goods, of course!).
- Tour the underground: Discover the secret tunnels that run beneath Cape Town with Good Hope Adventures! These canals date back to 1652 and used to supply the Company Gardens and passing ships with fresh water. This exciting and educational tour will inspire & thrill even the most adventurous types.
- Get Cultured: For an exciting night-out with a group of friends or for the entire family, join us at the Rockwell Dinner Theatre located inside the Rockwell Hotel. For only R350 per person this July only (original price: R500 per person) you’ll receive a welcome glass of bubbly or orange juice, a delicious 4-course meal and the outstanding Kaapse Stories theatre show!
- Eat Some Naan: Picture this: a dark tunnel through the middle of a building in the middle of the Cape Town CBD lined with the largest variety of Eastern & Middle Eastern food stations you have ever seen! Welcome to the Eastern Food Bazaar loated between Longmarket and Darling Street. This spot is a favourite among locals due to the amazing value for money.
- Solve Some Puzzles: If you are keen on the thrill, then Hint Hunt is for you! Here you will experience mind-blowing live escape games (yes, just like SAW the movie without the consequences!). These exciting and challenging escape games are located at the V&A Waterfront, as well as the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock for your convenience.